Drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My BOSCH combi boiler is upstairs. It services 3 radiators upstairs and 2 zones of underfloor heating downstairs. I asked the plumbers who installed it to send two pipes down into the (downstairs) bathroom so at some point I can attach a heated towel rail. That time has now come. The two pipes are just capped off at the moment.

One of the underfloor heating zone's supply/return pipes has a draincock on it. This I have used before to empty the system etc etc.

My question is: Do I need a draincock on the heated towel rail?

Thank you please.

Sponsored Links
Well it'll work without one, but it saves trouble if you ever need to drain the pipes it's connected to! Conventionally, yes.

Another thought, which pipe do I connect it to? How can I tell which is the supply and which is the return?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter. Both pipes connect to bottom of rad / towel rail. Flow water will rise to top of rad because it is hotter (and therefore less dense / lighter). As water looses heat it will descend towards bottom of rad where it will be drawn away by return pipe.

Your not thinking of connecting it to the underfloor circuit are you :?:

Thank you all.

No, I wasn't going to connect it to the underfloor heating pipes. May I ask why you asked this?

If using a straight trv check for arrow direction and make sure it goes with the flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back