Drain down outlets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To drain down my upstairs central heating, I am gradually re-radiatoring(?) as I decorate, I have to use a drain cock in my lounge; this always risks the "blackstuff" on the carpet however careful I am. I have just noticed that my kitchen radiator is fed by flow and return pipes that run down garage wall. If I put drain points in these pipes at say 5 feet from the floor this would allow me to drain down upstairs with only the garage floor to worry about! My question is can I use self cutting washing machine taps as then I can easily attach hosepipe to take water straight to drain. If not what other inline outlet would you suggest

Sponsored Links
Dont use self cutting taps as the slug could work its way round causing you major headache's.

Put down some plastic and old dust sheets or simular.

Thanks Craig, forgot that the rubber thingy could break loose. How about the next time I drain down, could I put a T compression fitting inline and fit a drain cock to this? I was caught at a previous house and the "wife" has never forgotten!

Yes you could, Though that will only drain upper circuit and that leg ;)

The "slug" is the copper disc thats cut.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, the top circuit is what I am after. All the downstairs rads are fed by pipes coming from upstairs and I had to do drain these individually on decorating, bit of a job sometimes as when the system was put in the installers forgot and only put in one, yes one drain cock on one rad. Again Chris many thanks for your assistance.

I have given up on installing drain cocks as they are usually rubbish.

On the grounds that I don't need one to work (very expensive hoover etc.,) it seldoim bothers me.

However, if I do fit something deidicated to draining down (new cylinder etc., then i use a fulle-bore lever valve with a bit of copper and a pushfit cap. Would suggest you stick this in your garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back