Draining my system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am planning to drain my system this weekend it is an open vented system.

My question is, all of my down stairs radiators are fed from drops from the upstairs radiators,so if i drain the system from my drain tap on my radiator in my living room will that also drain all of the water from the feed and return pipes from the other radiators in the other rooms that are on the same level?

Or do i need to drain the other pipes on the other radiators?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone,

I am planning to drain my system this weekend it is an open vented system.

My question is, all of my down stairs radiators are fed from drops from the upstairs radiators,so if i drain the system from my drain tap on my radiator in my living room will that also drain all of the water from the feed and return pipes from the other radiators in the other rooms that are on the same level?

Or do i need to drain the other pipes on the other radiators?

Thankyou.

NO, why would they? Water cannot drian up-hill can it? Joe-90 may be able to explain otherwise, but until he can drain every drop on the system.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks alot.

Just a few other questions to get it clear in my mind as i know nothing about plumbing.

1)So for future reference am i right in saying that if i wanted to do any work on my upstairs radiators i could drain any of my down stairs radiators?

2)Also if i wanted to work on a particular radiator downstairs then if i drain that radiator it would only drain the drops to that one?

3) If i wanted to drain the whole system then i would have to drain each downstairs radiator to empty all the drops to the downstairs radiators?

Thankyou you have been most helpful.

Ok, thanks alot.

Just a few other questions to get it clear in my mind as i know nothing about plumbing.

1)So for future reference am i right in saying that if i wanted to do any work on my upstairs radiators i could drain any of my down stairs radiators?

2)Also if i wanted to work on a particular radiator downstairs then if i drain that radiator it would only drain the drops to that one?

3) If i wanted to drain the whole system then i would have to drain each downstairs radiator to empty all the drops to the downstairs radiators?

Thankyou you have been most helpful.

1) Yes

2) Will also drain down pipes and rads upstairs.

3) Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back