How to drain a Spring Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two of those designer type coiled spring radiators and I need to remove one of them because the fixings for it have become loose.

I am an electrician by trade and have never done much work on central heating systems before so bare with me if this is a stupid question.

The radiator is downstairs but is fed from upstairs via two surface mounted pipes running down the wall to the bottom of the radiator. If I were to shut off the combi in the loft, making sure the water feed is turned off, and open the drain next to the last radiator the system should start to drain down as I opened the bleed screws (starting upstairs) on the radiators.

My questions is how do I actually drain the water from the spring radiator, as with it being fed from above presumably means the water will only drain from the upstairs radiators and none of the downstairs ones?
Does the water need to be 'pushed out' some way?

Any pointers most welcome,
Sean

Sponsored Links
In good quality work there would be a drain cock fitted at every lowest point.

Good quality work is unusual, even in a builders house you see plastic pipe!

I would undo a rad valve union with a washing up bowl underneath!

Tony

I was fearing that was the answer that would come back :(

This radiator is about three feet tall and looks like it will hold a lof of water!

Surely you only want to drain the one radiator. Just close the two isolating valves where the pipes connect to the radiator and then undo the lower one a little to let the water leak out. No big deal.

Sponsored Links
When draining the radiator, use a new builders rubble bag - far easier than a rigid container and you will not spill a drop :)

I am also adding a new radiator in the kitchen and want to add inhibitor, so I thought I would do them all at the same time.

Thanks for the tip about the rubble bag - sounds a much better idea than the more traditional washing up bowl!

Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back