Drain in garden - linked to main drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a drain in our garden which I was going to block up, I cleared it all out and found that it branches off to the right, my wife used a tap in the kitchen and I could hear water trickling through to the right where I think the main drain pipes are - the pipes run down the length of our garden to the bottom.

gardendrain-2.jpg

I poured a bucket of water down expecting it to disappear but it started filling up, I am thinking about leaving the drain and re-cementing around it.

I am unsure but I think a lot of years ago there were out-buildings on the garden, I just wondered if this could be anything to do with its reason for been here?

There was also a silt trap which has been taken out of the garden now (this was an earlier post of mine)
drain2.jpg

backgarden.jpg

The arrow in the photo above points to the drains location.

If I had put a thin sheet of metal over this drain then carried on lifting and re-cementing the blocks on the path would I get any issues?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Sponsored Links
I just read this answer from a previous post - Woodster66

Is the stench pipe Still used??? if it is, then what ever you do do not cover it over as this vents your sewer, without it you will have trouble when it comes to flushing a toilet or emptying the bath etc the old rusty thing on the top is probably some type of grill or mesh to stop debris from getting in the pipe and blocking it up!

I am guessing this is the same answer for our garden pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back