Drain rodding round 90 degree bend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a down pipe from the gutter, that goes down the side of the house and goes into a ground drain.
Diagram below.
I can get my arm all the way down to the blockage and have completely cleared that far, but can't reach round the 90 degree bend, shown, to get to the rest of the blockage.

I can feel small stones, chuckies there, just about touch them, and don't really want to push they further down the drain with a power washer.
I haven't yet tried the power washer, though it's obviously an option.

Is there a
- rodding set that does 90 deg bends that is of use. I don't see anything obvious on Toolstation or Screwfix
- way to pull what's there out without pushing it further in?
2024.01.21__14.30.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you use drain rods from the manhole at the far end i.e. downstream, or you could use an attachment to a pressure washer and flush it out to the nearest manhole

Sometimes a wet vac will pull out what is stuck in there, especially if it is only leaves and moss off the roof. Shove the flexi hose down without any attachment on it so that it can get around the bend.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

Very useful link.

I can't quite get my hand down the drain for long enough, in this weather, to try and work figure out the type.
It's just too cold.

Water sitting in there,quite far down, could be becasue it is a p-trap, or just becasue it sits that high with the blockage.
Starting to think the water level means it's a p-trap, even if it is partially blocked.

The drain is working except in the exceptionally unusual downpours we've been having latley.
I've completley cleared it up until the bend.

Next warm day, it will likley be a while, I will have a through explore.

I can't find a downstream manhole to catch at the other end what's in there with a power flush, though it may be under the lawn some where.

I've dug drains before, so if I need to I will. A full day and I'll be down there pulling it out and getting it back together again, cleared.

I think this drain is a "rest bend and hopper", 1st dagram below, but it could be a "p-trap and hopper", which is the pasted diagram below that ..
1706013501707.png

1706013573864.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back