Gutter rubbish stopper!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a device i can install, to stop moss, gravel, leaves and other such rubbish from going down my gutter? As further down the line, it joins in with my kitchen waste, then on through a horrible drain run before reaching the relative safety of the sewer. And i dont want any of that stuff building up in a 90 degree bend on the way. :confused:

Sponsored Links
chciken wire or similar, buy i thought roof drains have to go to a soakaway not the sewer

Yes, go to you local builders merchant, they will have or be able to get a plastic mesh, designed for that, its made by at least one of the main gutter manufacturers, Osma or Marley. It will just clip into the existing, providing its a compatable system.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
chciken wire or similar, buy i thought roof drains have to go to a soakaway not the sewer

Not so sure about the soakaways there breezer...i had a battle with the water board as they were adimant my roof water drained into the storm sewers...i had to put them right especially as i had dug the bloomin soakaways ( in clay earth...god it was tough going).....
I suspect that your local water company could help you with it though
Unless its new Regs or something like that.

I have used chicken wire in the tops of the down pipes before to stop debris going down... i made a long enough tube of the stuff to push down the pipe so it didnt spring out or come loose. I thought about doing the whole gutter.. but i filled the down pipe instead as the thought of having to clean all the goop from the wire along the length of the gutter made me think it was easier to just do one small bit on the down pipe....
I expect in our techno age there is something to do just this, but it most likely cost a fortune in comparison to a sheet of wire Think its about 3-5 pounds... and as hitachimad says it needs to be compatible

If you are not on a water meter, some water companies will gice you a rebate on your water rates if you apply and tell them your rain water goes to a soakaway. We did, and we got a rebate.

Yeah i did exactly that Oilman, trouble is they insisted i was wrong....according to thier records....when i asked them to show me the record...diagrams...plans etc...they suddenly backed down.....dont know why :LOL:

It was only £19 a year but they have been swindling me for 12 years and i hadnt seen it....swines wont back pay it though he he

oilman said:
If you are not on a water meter, some water companies will gice you a rebate on your water rates if you apply and tell them your rain water goes to a soakaway. We did, and we got a rebate.
I have 3 soakaway for rainwater, how do you prove it to them? Is it by lifting the manhole cover and watch the water movement when pouring water down the downpipe?

Darjm,

Is this any good?

Masona,

thanks for replies. From what i can make out, that wouldnt help, as i need something for the top of the gutter, as i dont have access to the guttering at the bottom.

Ironically, it shows a "gutter balloon?" which is what i need i think, but it says they cause more blockages than prevent :rolleyes:

Darjm said:
thanks for replies. From what i can make out, that wouldnt help, as i need something for the top of the gutter, as i dont have access to the guttering at the bottom.
You don't have to have it at the bottom, you can have it where you like, half way if you want.

May be a little late on this one, but...
When I built my extension, the council said the rainwater must go to soakaways - major problems for me digging down past clay and two runs to each end of the garden. Then, the brickies came. They said that if the drain at the bottom of the existing fall-pipe didn't have a U bend, it meant it went to a soakaway, and I'd have to do the same with the new extension. If it did have a U bend, it was going to the mains. It had a U bend! I showed the inspector, and he said it was now fine to connect my new stuff to the sewer manhole. Saved a fortune on Radox. Different authorities may have different rules, but it's always worth checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back