Terrace guttering issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've an ongoing issue with the guttering on a terrace house despite two attempts at fixing it. I was hoping for a rough idea as to what is wrong so I can guage whats said by any further roofers.

From what I can tell the problem is with the join where two pieces of guttering meet between properties. This appears to be well on my side of the divide (with the downpipe giving a rough idea of the actual property line).

The below picture was taken when it was cold a few weeks back and should help demonstate where water is falling. It doesn't pour down when it rains, however I'm getting steady internal damage to paint and some external damage to wooden windows over time.

In terms of fixes, initialy some tar / material was used to line the existing guttering. As this didn't improve much, the suggestion was to replace the entire gutter on my side a few months later. This work was completed, however it still didn't stop water falling down from the join between gutters.

At this point the feedback from the roofer who had done both pieces of work was that nothing further could be done and that the best bet would be to work with next door to replace their guttering to improve the join.

Would this be the only option, or should it be possible to either get a better join between the two guttering pieces (or remove the existing join and put a new one in on the actual property line to reduce the damage happening on my side)?

A additional consideration is that, whilst the property next door is rented, there was roofing work done towards the end of last year. The below picture suggests that the entire gutter on their side was replaced as part of this. Both gutters are therefore fairly new so it may make them easier to join? I would also expect this to make any landlord less inclined to replace guttering, especially as any leak is only occuring on my side of the divide.

Guttering.jpg

Sponsored Links
What is the rainwater pipe running alongside the soil pipe doing I cannot see its connected to the guttering. ?

This pic is blowing my mind a tad. Where is the outlet? I see the Downpipe but it looks as though it comes out the soil stack at the top. A running outlet/and some pipe technically wouldn’t be able to fit between the top of the soil stack and the wall. Those soil stack clips stand the stack off the wall 1.5inches.

Any join can be joined correctly using the right material.

Still melting my brain about if there is an outlet hidden from view lol

Sponsored Links
What is the rainwater pipe running alongside the soil pipe doing I cannot see its connected to the guttering. ?

This pic is blowing my mind a tad. Where is the outlet?
Still melting my brain about if there is an outlet hidden from view lol

Could be we're looking at a parapet (with a flattie behind) and there is perhaps a horizontal outlet behind the SVP? Why you would have eaves guttering though.......? It is indeed a quandary.

I was trying to work out if that was the front of the property
the pipe work looks ugly enough for a landlord.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try another roofer to see what they say. I had two quotes last time (when the guttering was replaced). The second roofer had a few more suggestions relating to flashing to help with the dampness. The quote was around £600 though, and the repairs so far have been around £500 so was hoping to get it fixed properly.

In terms of the two pipes running down the front, the smaller one to the right continues upwards. I think it looks to feed into the gutter at the top, it's just hidden a bit in the picture.

This is a back to back house so I only have to worry about what's in the picture. The guttering runs in steps every two houses so the bit that appears to be leaking is the only join.

The Morons who put up the new guttering have made it leak
so get them to come back and repair it!!!!!

The Morons who put up the new guttering have made it leak
so get them to come back and repair it!!!!!

Now its been explained where the smaller pipe goes (Rainwater?) It looks to me as it is not connected to the guttering , plus the morons hsve left a bad joint over your window,
You may be in for a bit of bother with them, contact your neighbour or renting agency regarding the problem to get them back to do the job properly, then the next step is Trading Standards, save the photos you have for evidence.

How exactly are you *supposed* to join Twinplas guttering (right) to wooden guttering (left) anyhow? Just silicone or something? I've often wondered this.

I'm still working on getting this sorted. Two options have been suggested. The first is to line the existing gutters with lead to try to stop the leak. From what I can tell this is will only fix the problem for a time (and something similar was done before both pieces of guttering were replaced with little effect). The other is to replace the wooden gutters on my side with plastic to try to get the two to join better.

I think I'm leaning towards patching. By all accounts wooden gutters should be longer lasting? I have taken a few more closeup pictures. In the one attached it looks like there are gutter connectors already. I'm open to any suggestions. From searching it sounds like a join will always be problematic. An alternative seems to be to try to put an additional downpipe at the join?

IMG_6443.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back