Drainage ( drainers)

S

Sylvan Tieger

I am wondering if your folks in England normally use a snake (wire) to clear drains or water Jetters or both?

Also when using Jetters do you like more pressure or more volume?

Sponsored Links
Sylvan,

In order to operate a jetter in the UK health and safety require you to have completed a safety course and be a member of the water jetting association...not i believe a legal requirement but you won't get public liability insurance otherwise and that IS a legal requirement.

Without doubt VOLUME clears blockages better than pressure, especially in larger diameter drains.....but it's all relative, i have a 3000psi 3/8 bore jetter......that will punch a hole through hands, feet, head etc.......a 2000psi 1/2 will do the same but it does clear blockages better because of greater flow i think. The problem is water storage. i carry 70 gallons and can burn that within 5 mins, a the bigger machine in less than 3. That said i ain't come across any blockage that i can't clear with my machine bearing in mind i deal with domestic drainage ie 4,6 or 8, inch lines. If i am a utility tho i would be using 1 inch or 2 inch beasties that struggle to get up to 1500 psi.....but boy they shift water.

The question gallons / versa's pressure has beein on going for over 20 years.

I have 4 jetters 2 gasoline operated and two electric

The small gas jetter is the Ridgid KJ 2200 2,200 PSI 2.4 GPM and I find it is ok for lines up to 4" diameterdepending of course how severe the grease /soil stoppage is

The Ridgid electric is only capable of delievering 1,350 PSI 1.4 GPM and the Mustang is 1,500 PSI

My big machine is the Jet max 3010 PSI @ 10 GPM Or can be changed to 2,500 PSI 15 GPM depending on nozzles I use

I normally found the higher pressure will scour the lines to a like new condition and the volume is great for flushing debris down stream.

The water tank does drain really fast wnen using the 3/4" hoses for 36" diameter lines Normally I use the 3/8 or 1/2" hoses and nozzles

The other on going debate is what is better for clearing grease clogged lines.

Personally I like cold water to break up the grease and let it flow down stream in chunks rather than using hot water knowing when the grease hits colder lines it will just adhere to it futher down stream.

After the intial cleaning then I use hot water to scour the lines.

What is your opinion?

Also for roots and hard stoppages I am a firm believer of using snakes rather then water jetting on roots as I often wondered if someone is cutting roots with a water jetter and it gets hung up how does one put the jetter in reverse?

With the snake 3/4 - 11/4 one can play lots of games.

By the way Jetting is a lot more dangerous then snaking and I will not allow anyone to opertate this kind of equipment.

Some localities are finally requiring licensing of this equipment.

Some where on my profile is a picture of the big jetter I just removed off the Dodge and had installed on one of my Ford vans with the water tank that can be fed by a garden hose through a fixed air gap.

Of all the work I do gas fitting /steam fitting /plumbing / welding I really enjoy the drain cleaning the most.

I think it is because one can see instant results and it is a profession often over looked by plumbers as they have no idea how rewarding it can be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back