Drainage from a cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we're looking at has a proper cellar, which is fairly uncommon in the UK and rather a cool thing - I'm thinking it would be a great place for my homebrew.

It has electricity already, and hot/cold pipes go through it suggesting plumbing would be easy.

But I'm wondering about drainage. It's the lowest part of the house and is at least partly underground. I don't necessarily need to drain into the main system (it's a septic tank and in the country) but how hard is it to install a sink with a drain in this kind of situation so I can wash out brewing equipment?

Sponsored Links
Standard installation but instead of a connection to a drain the waste is collected and pumped up to a suitable discharge point.

The only issue is the location of the discharge point - dependant on the existing waste water arrangements.

It worth checking that the existing pipework running through the cellar is hot/cold supply pipework and not part of the heating system.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sanivite-macerator-360w-240v/40804

Good points. I think in this case getting water in would be easy because the utility room is directly above (washing machines etc). In fact in that case drainage could go to the same drain the washing machine uses, often this is a outflow pipe poked into a drain, not plumbed in?

I would advise if a Sanivite is used, it has a dedicated waste run right to the drain or stack. Teeing it into an existing waste could be a recipe for problems, they do pump the water out at a fair old rate, and it hasn't been unknown for them to cause a fountain in a sink.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
In fact in that case drainage could go to the same drain the washing machine uses, often this is a outflow pipe poked into a drain, not plumbed in?

Echoing HJ comments - always plumb a pumped waste into a drain or stack

Yeah hadn't thought about that part, thanks for the tip.

I've got a cellar and use it for homebrew, just watch out for infections as the damp air makes them more likely.

I wash out everything upstairs and just carry my water down from the utility.

I also made a fermentation cabinet to keep the brew at a nice stable temperature as the cellar is a little cold.

Would advise checking with Saniflo first about every chemical mixture you will be using.

I'd also be wary of what you put into the drain, just realised your on a septic tank. Kill the bacteria in that and you'll have big problems....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back