Washing machine in cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm just about to move into a new house which has a cellar. As far as I can see, it's largely below the level of the main sewer. I'd like to put the washing machine down there (if it fits through the door - another issue) and water supply is not a problem, but drainage might be. Is there any way I can run the washing machine waste uphill? The floor of the cellar is about a metre feet below the sewer, I think, and the ceiling is about a metre above it.

One option would be to put the washing machine on a (strong!) shelf so the drain output would be above the sewer level, but that would be a bit of a pain.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
It is possible to use a washing machine with a variant of the Saniflow toilet pump but even the cheapest is over £200 so you will need to have very sure you want it there.

If the pump were to fail then an interlock to turn off the washing machine would be a good idea.

If you have tons of space then you could put a plastic cistern to take the waste and use a cheaper manually switched pump to empty it.

So its not impossible but always better when the WMC drains by gravity!

Tony

put it on a platform as you say and providing the drain is outside and a good foot lower than the machine top you can make it work as the hose outlet is a few inches below the top off the machine

just make shure the outflow from the machine is into a loose fitting/ hopper to stop syphoning and allow a blocked drain to discharge onto the outside

Sponsored Links
We found a washing machine stood on a plinth about 15" to 18" high is a lot easier to load and unload than one stood straight on the floor. It puts the door at a better working height.

I made the plinth (an offcut of kitchen worktop on 3X2 framing) deep enough to balance a laundry basket on the edge in front of the machine door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back