Washing Machine + Outside Gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine lives in the garage and the waste discharges to an outside gully.
The pipe from the washing machine sits inside the gully but is a fair distance above the water level.

The pipework is fairly untidy and is leaking on some of the joints so I'm planning to replace it all.

Given the pipework doesn't connect direct to the drains and the outside gully provides a water seal to the actual sewer, do I need a trap inside the garage, or can I simply make a standpipe with a length of pipe and run it straight through the wall and into the gully?

Sponsored Links
Depends if you want mice,a howling gale and a bit of drain whiff coming back up the pipe- for what it costs, just do the usual (metre drop, trap, out through the wall)

Still need a trap ideally, the pipe will get a nice coating of gunge internally over time, along with the stagnating contents of the gully, these + a Hot day = a lovely stink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back