Pipe into gully... Any tips to make it quieter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently rearanging waste pipes ready for a new kitchen layout.

The pipework runs through the wall into a gully outside. Currently when dishwasher or washing machine pump out it makes quite loud splashing gurgling noises as the water enters the gully.

Is there any tricks to reduce the sound of the water entering the gully? Maybe puting a bend on pipe to direct water onto the inside wall of the gully rather than straight down, or keeping the air break between pipe and water surface in the gully small?

I know it needs to discharge below the grate but above the waterline, but any tricks to help quieten it down would be greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the sound is airborne, the gully is in an allyway which makes the sound echo and reverberate a lot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the ideas. I had a bit of a play with the pipe into the gully.

Aiming water onto the side of the gully made a noticable difference, and changed the freaquency of the sound. It went from being quite thunderous and deep to a much lighter splashing sound.

Covering up the grill as well then attenuated the remaining sound quite well.

The allyway isnt the widest so I can't put a raised cover over it without being a serious trip hazzard, but I could possibly fill in the gaps in the grate or fit a covering plate to the bottom of the grill.

Question in my mind now is how much of an opening to the air is required to keep a gully a gully rather than sealing it and turning it into just a pipe? What problems would there be if its sealed too well?

I must admit that I assume it was about a brick high perimeter on the gully?
In the past a bit of thick ply or timber cut to size and with appropriate entry holes for pipes is what I have done. Eventually they rot, or fail but some shed preservative helps

Its a modern round upvc gully with the grill flush with the pathway.

In that case fill all the slots but 1 with black silicone - the 1 clear one will allow air in;)

In that case fill all the slots but 1 with black silicone - the 1 clear one will allow air in;)

Yeah, thats something that had crossed my mind, just not sure how neat I could get the silicone and was pondering how much air gap there needed to be.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back