Drainage problem with outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a substantial brick-built workshop/garage. One wall is letting in substantial amounts of water when it rains and the brickwork is damp.

On further inspection, outside there is an earth slope running down (the bad way) at about 30 degrees from the next-door property which is a good metre higher up. I had a quick dig about and there seems to be a yellow corrugated pipe buried against the wall but I haven't worked out where it goes yet.

I assume I'm going to have to dig all this out and fix it but if I'm doing it I want to do a proper job. What's the right way to sort this out?

EDIT:
The yellow pipe is one of those perforated pipes. It goes nowhere at one end and I can't tell at the other due to a fence. How would one of these normally be installed?

There was quite a lot of vegetation on top of the area where the pipe is so I have dug it all out down to the layer of gravel the pipe is in. I'll see what happens. If I do end up replacing the drainage pipe I'd appreciated knowing the correct way to install such a thing.

Sponsored Links
I have a substantial brick-built workshop/garage. One wall is letting in substantial amounts of water when it rains and the brickwork is damp.

EDIT:
The yellow pipe is one of those perforated pipes. It goes nowhere at one end and I can't tell at the other due to a fence. How would one of these normally be installed?

There was quite a lot of vegetation on top of the area where the pipe is so I have dug it all out down to the layer of gravel the pipe is in. I'll see what happens. If I do end up replacing the drainage pipe I'd appreciated knowing the correct way to install such a thing.
Google French Drain - and also look at pavingexpert.com ;)

Google French Drain - and also look at pavingexpert.com ;)

Ahh... that helps. At a glance, the issue appears to be where the water is *supposed* to drain to. This isn't entirely obvious. More digging in my future I suspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back