Drainage Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you allowed to connect garden drainage to the gutter downpipe?

I have a clay soil garden that I have moved into (not a new build) the grass and 2/3 of the border along one side of the garden needs some drainage put in, most likely french drain style. I have gutter down pipe at the rear of the house.

The patio and 1m of the current grass will be getting dug up and new patio laid so ideal chance to put in the drainage, the easiest way and route would be to connect into the downpipe at rear of house, is this allowed?

Sponsored Links
Where can it be connect into? I’ve watched some landscaper videos and they seem to connect into some form of existing drain?

Sponsored Links
John.

OK I know nothing about English rules as regards this matter, But?

Is it possible to install a form of "interceptor trap" to filter the ground water so there is little or no fines entering the rain water system??

Given the O/P has a clay soil which is [at times] impervious to absorbing water?

Seriously just out of interest.

Ken.

I don’t think a soakaway is an option as digging this into another part of the garden which doesn’t flood but is still clay is prob not a great idea.

I have woods out the back of me which leads to a park. This is council land I doubt I can put the water here either with it being council land.

Not sure what options are if it cant flow to a rainwater drain. There is a lot of landscaper videos doing it this way?

rsbhj, good evening

Do you know if the rain water is a stand alone system not combined to the Soil system?

As above, I am dabbling in an area I do not have any experience of.

Can i play Devils advocate here ?? if there are serape systems [rain water / foul water] then John could possible add some informed opinion? as to adding an interceptor emptying into a dedicated rain water system?

To be clear I am really not stirring it, I am simply interested, as an aside I do not know what the Regs. state in Scotland.

Ken.

I am not sure on the rain water system if this is combined.

I have read that if there is no other option then approval can be granted to connect into the drains, but again will need to investigate that option.

I dont have an option for a soakaway as its clay. The area on the other side of the garden that I have also ripped up, is soggy but no surface water, however the concrete whirly block that I removed, 0.5m deep, has the hole filled with water for last 2 days. This was an area I thought if anything had space for a soakaway but think I can rule that option out.

I was going to try digging down on the side I am trying to fix and see if I can get past the clay, i have only went 0.5m down so far.

Groundwater is specifically forbidden to drain into the sewers.
I can't see that specification within the linked document. Besides, wouldn't it make more sense to link to legislation than 'guidance'

yes it would. Can you track it down, please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back