Drainage work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm currently having an extension built and seven Trent insisted on us putting in an inspection chamber and to divert the foul pipes to the outside of the building. The drains were uncovered as part of the main foundation excavation but they did have to dig a 2m long by 0.6m wide and 1m deep trench. This work was in addition to the main build and after asking how much this would be and after being told not much I have been landed a bill for £3k. Admittedly the ground is clay and it had to be dug by hand but there were 2 guys working! I obviously queries this and was told it was a difficult job and took a week and a half to do! Which wasn the case. I'm looking for any advice as to how much this should really cost before I have another showdown. This same builder has also concreted over my secondary water stopcock which was on the outside of the building
Any advice would be greatly received

Sponsored Links
So after being told
you agreed for the works?
Not getting a quote?

Lets assume it took a week and a half on a 5 day week.
So thats two men = 15 days in total, so £3000/15 = £200 a day for two men.
Sounds good in actual fact.

Cannot say anything about the secondary stopcock, did they know its there? Do you need two?

I continued to ask how much it was going to cost but never got anywhere until the bill landed. This was being done whilst they worked on the main foundation digging. My main issue is the length of time to dig that trench I need to understand whether it is reasonable, as from looking at the size I can't see how it would take a week and a half for 2 men working lets say 6 hours per day. I was looking for some advice as to what people thought it should take. Also the secondary stop cock they new was there as they removed the metal housing around it during the prep. I'm worried if something happens to the one in the house I have no way or switching the water off

There is generally one in the street anyway, so you wanted 3?

If you were not getting any quotes why not ask them to stop?

Sponsored Links
Think yourself lucky. It is usual for water authorities to insist the work is done by approved contractors and that would likely to have cost upwards of £10,000.00.

You seem to be missing the point all I am after is a view of the excavation costs nothing more nothing less

Back