Drainage...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

You will see in this photo that we get a lot of water building up here. The ground is VERY hard. Has anyone got some advice how to solve this?

If I dug a huge hole where the water builds up and filled it with stones and then covered it, out the grass back it would help?

Thanks for any advice.

Al

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I have the same issue, clay + water can make your garden a mess.

You are quite close to the building, would it be better to use a french drain or something along those lines to take the water away before creating a soak away? If you have the space!

You might want to look at soak away crates rather than traditional hole filled with rubble. More room for the water and easier to keep clear.

Try digging some trial pits, see how effective they are going to be.

John

We got the same problem and it's always ****ing me off. Specially when it's starting to rain. psssssssh -_-.

Sponsored Links
What is the ground? From the photo it could be sand, clay, etc.

I had problems with my lawn, pools of water would sit on top after heavy rain. So I killed the grass, sorry I mean the weeds and moss, spread 1" sharp sand, and rotavated it in. Then I levelled, and seeded, and I now have a nice lawn which drains well, and covered in worm cast indicating a healthy soil. Compaction of clay soil will prevent drainage. I have a suspicion that sometimes putting in drainage pipes and soakaways is over the top. The problem is you don't know until you have tried a simpler method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back