draining central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to this so....... I've just drained down the central heating to fit a new towel rad and alter pipework for a new shower. When I drained it down the water was a bit black towards the end (not real bad, but a bit) I have since refilled the system and everything is working ok.
Should I have ran some cleaner through the system, if so what type and how?!
Also, I believe i should have added an inhibitor to the system, once again, what type and what's d procedure?
Finally, when refilling the system, is it as straightforward as it appeared to be: fill it back up and then bleed the rads systematically?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If system is old then usual to get black or rusty water out, shouldn't be but is. You could add Sentinel x 400 to system on filling and leave in for a day then drain down and flush through with mains water. Final fill add Sentinel X100.

Many other good brands available to use such as Fernox etc. Should all do the same job.

Yes it can be that straightforward but not every time :mad:

have you fired it all up and checked each rad is working. Will probably need bleeding again in a few days then try again in about 2 weeks approx

Thanks for that, I'll put some through it while i've got the place in bits!! Yes, all rads working fine, which was a plesant surprise :LOL: .......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back