Draining down Y-Plan Central heating - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Now my Heating / Hot water is working as i like (thanks for help in other thread!) I need to make some adjustments to the radiators.

1. Adjust pipework downstairs where a radiator used to be, so a new radiator can be fitted, and also possibly add another radiator to the other side of the wall in the same location.

2. Add some TRV's onto all Radiators except one in hallway where Thermostat is??

Questions.

1. Guessing it will be easiest to drain the system down to complete all this.
If so, anything I need to be aware of?
Presuming Boiler needs to be off, and flow from header tank shut off.

2. TRV's, are there such things as main radiators that cannot have TRV's fitted, or can all Radiators have a TRV?

3. Whilst system is drained, is it a good idea to add any kind of treatment once refilled? Any recommendations? This goes into header tank I think?

4. Refilling, is it just a case of opening Flow from header tank and bleeding all rads?
Does CH heating need to be on to pump it round when refilling and bleeding?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
For draining and re-filling make sure your valve is in the manual position. TRV's can be fitted to all rads except the one where the room stat is, If you do fit TRV's you need to make sure whether your boiler requires an ABV or not,

NB - Best to put your trvs on the flow end - even if they're supposed to be "bidirectional" they're less likely to make a noise.

Yes add a decent inhibtor when refilling, Sentinel or Fernox or Kamco, + a few others but not a cheapie..

Fill, vent, run boiler pump for a short with boiler off in case it fires empty, make sure everythings vented again - check by cylinder.
Then you'll need to balance it all.

For draining and re-filling make sure your valve is in the manual position. TRV's can be fitted to all rads except the one where the room stat is, If you do fit TRV's you need to make sure whether your boiler requires an ABV or not,

Do you mean the 3 port Mid-position valve?

Sorry whats a ABV?

I do already have 2 rads i think with TRV's on, just want to put on another 3 / 4 rads. I won't do one in hallway, which has the Room stat in.

Sponsored Links
Move the lever on the valve over to the manual position the lever is for draining and re-filling purposes. You need to look at the manufactures instructions for your boiler to see if you require an automatic bypass valve due to the added TRV's.

Move the lever on the valve over to the manual position the lever is for draining and re-filling purposes. You need to look at the manufactures instructions for your boiler to see if you require an automatic bypass valve due to the added TRV's.

It is a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, if that helps at all?

The valve, 3 port mid position one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back