Draining down

G

Goldspoon

I just drained down the heating system in my house (used protector after adding 3 rads a few weeks ago so now adding inhibitor). It's straightforward because there are lots of rads with drain taps on. But I did find I was having to go from rad to rad draining down to get it all out... presumably if there is only one drain tap then it must be very hard to empty a system? Do plumbers just get what they can out and accepts some is still in there? Do they suck it out with anything?

Sponsored Links
do you have radiators fed from above with drop loops?

I just drained down the heating system in my house (used protector after adding 3 rads a few weeks ago so now adding inhibitor). It's straightforward because there are lots of rads with drain taps on. But I did find I was having to go from rad to rad draining down to get it all out... presumably if there is only one drain tap then it must be very hard to empty a system? Do plumbers just get what they can out and accepts some is still in there? Do they suck it out with anything?

Your right, rads below are piped as a drop and thus need draining individually with each drain off. Did it refill ok? :evil:

Aaaaahhh... thank you

I was draining downstairs at back of house and pipes, I think go upstairs and then back downstairs (up and over)... so although on same level would not drain. Spent ages wondering why half the downstairs rads would not empty!

It has all filled fine (combi system).

Do plumbers sometimes come across "dips of rads" with no drain plug? If so what do they do... have to disconnect a rad?

Sponsored Links
Yes or cut and fit a tee into the flow/return. Open system can be a pain, depends on your snatch :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back