Draining ground floor heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an open-vented type heating system
with an oil boiler outside.

The small tank in the attic is disconnected and all the rads drained down but I need to drain the last drop out of the downstairs pipes so I can cut them flush and fit new laminate flooring.

The oil fired heating system is being removed as I don't use it anymore.There is no drain off lower than the pipework on the ground floor.Will I have to use a wet-vac or is there another method.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
I can't
The water I'm trying to drain off is in the pipes buried in the ground floor.

I want to cut the pipes coming up to the rads flush at ground by level but I need to drain off the water

I can't
The water I'm trying to drain off is in the pipes buried in the ground floor.

I want to cut the pipes coming up to the rads flush at ground by level but I need to drain off the water

Then a wet vac is the answer - but you already know that don’t you :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Thanks

What do I do

Open the bleed screws on the downstairs rads and suck it out?
Is there a special attachment for a wet vac?

Just use a wrench to crack a valve on one of the lowest rads and as it starts dripping catch it with the wet vac... whilst sucking, slowly open the nut more and when vac is full, quickly tighten nut back up... have some old towels underneath if you have brand new cream carpets... or just choose a rad that has a floor that won’t be damaged... if they’re all on drops, you need to do each one individually to drain completely.

I have attempted to siphon water out in situations like this.
Feed in some thin plastic tube, suck (carefully!!!), drain into a bucket outside that’s lower down.
I found that it worked but was insanely slow. However if you can leave it overnight it might be worth considering.

I have attempted to siphon water out in situations like this.
Feed in some thin plastic tube, suck (carefully!!!), drain into a bucket outside that’s lower down.
I found that it worked but was insanely slow. However if you can leave it overnight it might be worth considering.

F€CK THAT! Use a wet vac :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back