Draining heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im about to remove/replace a TRV on my bathroom radiator and shorten the pipe. Correct me if Im wrong but would this be the best way to drain my system.
Close all TRV’s and lockshields on all radiators.
Switch off heating so it doesnt come on.
Open drain point and hopefully this should just drain pipework and not radiators, reducing chance of airlock.
Replace pipework/TRV and install new radiator, filling with inhibitor.
Close drain point, open up all radiators, and open fill loop until pressure is back up.
Bleed radiators.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. If the bathroom rad is upstairs, you won't have to drain much out as downstairs pipes don't need to be fully drained.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Im about to remove/replace a TRV on my bathroom radiator and shorten the pipe. Correct me if Im wrong but would this be the best way to drain my system.
Close all TRV’s and lockshields on all radiators.
Switch off heating so it doesnt come on.
Open drain point and hopefully this should just drain pipework and not radiators, reducing chance of airlock.
Replace pipework/TRV and install new radiator, filling with inhibitor.
Close drain point, open up all radiators, and open fill loop until pressure is back up.
Bleed radiators.

Thanks

Doing it that way could increase the chances of getting an air lock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back