DRAINING MY COLD WATER SYSTEM..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot seem to drain my domestic water system. I turn off the mains water & open up all cold taps but nothing comes out other than about a table spoon full of water. It has been suggested that I should blow the system. How would I do this?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received..

Sponsored Links
It could be your mains stop valve (in the house) is not shutting off fully and the washer needs replacing. Failing that fit a new one. Even if you blow down the pipework if the stop valve is letting by water will return. :)

Sponsored Links
There's nothing unusual in a system not draining after the stop tap is closed. there's no way to get air into the pipework to relieve the vacuum as the water drains.

If you have a conventional cold storage cistern in the loft, run off a couple of gallons of HOT water.

Once the level in the cold cistern drops a bit, the float valve will open, breaking the vacuum that stops the cold water pipework from draining.

Other systems may drain if ALL the cold taps are left open. It may take a while before the vacuum is relieved, then it will suddenly drain all of a rush. Sodd's law states that however long you leave it, and whatever precautions you take, it will happen about 30 seconds after you cut into a pipe you thought was dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back