Draining proceedure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i intend to completely drain, ( & refil several times to allow Restorer then NEW protector to be added ) my open feed central heating................

My question is this: After I have tied up the ballcock in th F&E tank and opened the drain plug, to allow the water to escape: Do I need to do anything else to facilitate complete draining of the system? :?:

I live in Bungalow with Six Radiators, Five of which have thermostatic valves, and only ONE of which has a drain plug!

I have successfully drained and refilled once already, I was just wondering whether I need to do anything with the Radiators; OR if these will just drain down with all the the other water in the pipework?

Look forward to yr suggestions and Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Just in case, I didn't explain correctly.......

I meant open the drain plug in the solitary radiator that has one fitted, and NOT open the drain plug in the F 8 E tank! :oops:

Sorry, but I DO NOT understand, what is meant be drop fed? :?:

The rads, are just standard!

If they are indeed "drop fed", what is the proceedure to ensure that they do empty themselves please? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks kev, i understand now :)

Instead of "taking off" the radiators (which is to complicated for any amatuer like meself) is there any alternative?

Or will the dirty water just sit in the rads?

I guess if I RUN the heating with the Restorer in the mix, this should shift most of the gunk/crud, and therefore mean I could "get away" with not having to take off, the rads and drain them individually? :?:

best advice i would offer is bite the bullet and drain the rads and fit drain points on the lot

they should have been there from day one

Dirty ol water will still sit in the pipes. Best is to take a board up, cut tees into both the flow and return pipes, and take pipes out through a wall below the boards. If you use a compression coupler to join to a drain cock, you have given yourself two FULL DIAMETER drain/flush points you can stick a garden hose onto if you feel the urge.

If you want to empty low level pipes where you have no low access, you can suck the lot out with a water capable vac - about £39.99 from Wickes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back