Draining & Refilling a sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry if this has been answered before but I tried to look back but couldn't find any posts. Anyway

I am a competant DIY'r & can manage general plumbing jobs myself.

I have a sealed CH system - Worcester Highflow 400 RSF, Basically I need to change a radiator in the downstairs cloackroom but is a different size to existing one. So I need to drain the system to change the piping & valves.

Can I just turn off the CH flow & return valves, attach a hosepipe to the draincock at the lowest point and rain away?

Is it just as simple to refill once completed. Can I just open these 2 valves and then refill the pipes& radiators up again?

I know I will have to open the vent valves on the radiators when draining & refilling.

Any advice & tips would be greatly appreciated as I need to do this asap.

Many thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Hi

Hire a pipe freezer from local builder merchant.
No refilling and loss of inhibiter just a top up.

Hope this helps

Do what you said but turn your rad valves off to you may need to add more inhibitor too

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I intend to use
1. f****x central heating restorer
2. f****x superconcentrate central heating protector

(which I bought of fleabay for a tenner each) while I had the system drained, so wanted to drain it rather than freeze the pipes.

So what I said above should work then? Should I still keep the rad valves off on the other rads if I am going to use the above 2 items?

I intended to put the stuff into the new rad that I am going to install. Once the rad is all fixed up and I open the flow valves, I am just worried that I may damage the pump as there is bound to be some air in the system, from the pipes I have drained down. Would this be ok or should I be careful of something?

Thanks for the help & reassurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back