Refilling a system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to refill a system after it has been drained down. It is a system with a header tank. Is it best to shut the valves and refill each radiator in turn, or leave the valves open or what.
TIA
David

Sponsored Links
Have never found it matters a whole lot. I'd open all the valves (or leave them where they had been, if they weren't adjusted) but make sure twice that all the bleed valves are shut. Let it fill, boiler and pump off. Bleed the pipes in the airing cupd if there's a place to do it and go round all the rads doing them. Put any motorised valves in the "man " position so they're open.

Then put the heating on so the pump circulates everything. I should say bleed the pump too but I never seem to need to! Once it's been circulating for 5 minutes turn the ch off and rebleed the rads. Then rebleed the next day - should be it.

If you're confident of there being no leaks, and you don't need to flush the system to clear out flux from recent work, add inhibitor when you fill.

Sponsored Links
Ok I'll give it a go, many thanks for the replys. How hard or easy is it to balance a system?

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back