Draining down a central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drain down my conventional gravity fed system to fit a towel radiator in my downstairs loo (new valves)
I know how to do this but what is the best way? Shut of all the radiator valves (and locksheilds?), or just drain down and refill? ny other tips?

Any advice appreciated (or pointing to a previous post I have missed)

TIA

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I had already looked at that, but it does not say the best way to do a partial drain, if possible

Hi there,

Depends on if you have to change any of the pipework, or its just the valves that are being changed and also on what type of system you have.
Open Vented or sealed.

If sealed easiest to just to drain whole lot.

If open and just changing valves you could "BUNG" the system as you would then lose only a small amount of water. but if you're needing to alter the pipework best to drain down.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Thanks rico99 - I am replacing a conventional radiator with a towel one so have to modify the pipes. The system is vented.

Sounds like a full drain down then???

Hi again,

Depends on how you're going to change the pipework, if soldering, then yes full drain down is best, as you can't solder wet pipes.

If using compression fittings, then you should be able to "bung" the system and just alter ONE pipe at a time to hold the vacuum in the pipework.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back