Draining the central heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im due to drain my heating system (a Potterton Performa 24 combi boiler) to remove one of the rads as i no longer need it.
I think i have the general gist of it from previous Q and A's on here from other DIYers but as I have never actually done it before I was wondering how long it takes to refill the system once ive removed the unwanted rad.

Any help much appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
matter of mins to re-fill then bleed rads and re-check the pressure and top up.
are you just removing rad or pipework aswell ?

Cheers for that.

I will making some adjustments to the pipework in the bathroom which is on the same level as the boiler ( a few metres away in the next room, as the bathroom rad is being replaced with a towel radiator but needs to be moved to the otherside of the room ) and removing the 'T' joint and surplas pipework feeding the unwanted rad (which is in between the two rooms).

Im thinking there must be a copper sleeve type joint avaliable (15mm) to solder over the gap left by the removal of the 'T' joint fitting????

Sponsored Links
A word of warning! The water from inside a heating system leaves stains you will never shift! When you carry the radiator out make sure it doesn't drip on the carpet. I found that out the hard way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back