Drains gurgle when running a tap in another room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my wife flushes the loo or has a shower in our ensuite on one side of the house, the sink and shower drain gurgle very loudly in the main bathroom on the other side of the house.

They're both on the 1st floor and I believe the ensuite has a macerator, then the drain runs under the floor to join the drains and main soil pipe exiting the main bathroom.

Is this indicative of any problem? Even if not, is there a fix as it's quite loud and I feel you also get a bit of damp smell coming out of the drains too.

Sponsored Links
Only a possibility but if there is a macerator and the outlet runs under the floor then there may be a syphoning of water when the motor stops which could explain what you describe.

Weird - had a lady a few days ago with a similar problem. When she flushed the loo the shower would make a loud gurgling. And there was that smell of sewers/**** I suspected that the trap in the shower was blocked/not right.

Ended up pulling half the floor up and, sure enough, it was all gunked up - didnt form a water trap and the vacuum that the toilet made when being flushed must have been causing the noise upon flushing.

New trap fitted - smells gone and no gurgling.

Have a sniff of the plug hole - if it’s not overly pretty then take the trap out and have a look to see if the water trap is being fulfilled - avoiding smells etc...

Worked for me - years she’d been living with the stench!

Sponsored Links
d000hg is this a new event,have you noticed the fault before :?:

It's gurgled for some time, maybe since we moved in a year ago - it's not that often we both use bathrooms at the same time. I haven't noticed the smell before but potentially the warmer weather makes it more obvious?

could be a partial blocked/restriction forcing air from the traps. Have you an open stack on that run, or an AAV? does loosening the AAV head help (as a test)? if so more likely to be a blockage.
The other option is incorrectly installed drainage runs e.g. uphill or too long or steep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back