Drains in back yard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I’m hoping to make a little soil bed in the back yard of my 1920s (approx) terraced house. I’m hoping the waste pipe joins to the soil pipe and doesn’t run separately out to the alley sewer.

Is the proposed soil bed safe in terms of avoiding the drain and any risk from roots of small plants? I know I could get drain mapping but wondered if anyone would know from previous experience. Thanks.

1675403E-E85A-481F-965F-1365B2D956FC.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A membrane below the soil might help.

I’m on a job now lining drains that have roots in but I believe there were big trees here previously.

If you have an inspection chamber in your yard it will give you an idea where your drains run in relation to your proposed soil bed.
If you are only planting small plants then there shouldn't be a problem of roots interfering with the drains. Just don't go planting any acorns! ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back