Drains: surface and foul question

4 Mar 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hope this is in the right section.

We have section 24 drains for dealing with surface water (ie shared with the terraced house next door) - as I helpfully found out via this site when we had flooding into our basement :D

The house next door has been converted into flats and the builder/owner has used the guttering downpipe to discharge the water from the second floor kitchen. We've spoken to the water board about this as I'd noticed foaming water in the inspection gulley in our garden and thought it a bit strange (and was concerned given previous blockages/flooding into our property). They said this doesn't appear to be an issue as the surface water drain to directly to the main sewer.

Now - we're planning on putting the washing machine into the basement and converting an old cellar room into a cloakroom (toilet and basin) and was planning on using a saniflow system and piping it to the back of the property (cloakroom/washing machine) would be at the back of the property. However if the water board are correct then surely we could discharge directly into the section 24 drain? This would reduce costs but is this correct/legal/sanitary? We've queried this again with the water board and they keep promising to get back to us (but haven't yet)
Sponsored Links

Providing that rain & foul water both go into the main sewer then it is not a problem.

Thanks! Keeps our costs down - though of course theres always the concern about the potential flooding back into our house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links