Draught from laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told that hardboard flooring will help sort out the draught that comes from my floor.

Alternatively someone mentioned that I could use some reflective material (like those used for radiators) under the laminate flooring as this coud help. Is this true?

Will hardwood flooring stop the draught? Can hardwood flooring and reflective foil be used together? Are there any other ways to prevent the draught?

Apologies for all the questions, but this is a big investment for me and I would like to have some confidence that the problem will be solved.

Sponsored Links
Is laminate down or proposed? Laminate is laid on an underfelt or underlayment.

What room is this? Is it a suspended ground floor?

Why should there be a draught at all?

The laminant florring has been laid many years ago (with underlay)...

However the rooms always feel cold and we believe that a lot of the draught comes from the flooring.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I i redid my laminate flooring using hardboard, wouldn't this reduce the any draught coming from the floor?

Sponsored Links
The laminate itself cuts the draught, but it will always be colder to the touch than a textile floorcovering like carpet. Still warmer than stone or ceramic though.

Foil backed underlays should only be used on concrete floors, they can trap moisture and rot wood sub floors.

best thing to do is lay on a 6mm thick fibreboard underlay or an electric underfloor heating mat system designed for laminate flooring would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back