draughty toilet overflow!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with a freezing cold downstairs toilet! When the heating is off the huge draught blowing in through the outside overflow pipe into the toilet cistern is making the problem worse!

Is there a flutter valve type device on the market that I could fit on the end of the outside outlet to stop such problems? Its the standard 22mm polypipe overflow.

Its ok when the heating is on but the missus complains when it aint! :evil:

Sponsored Links
I wonder if simply fitting a 90 degree angle to the outside of the pipe would reduce the draught?

If so that would cost less than a quid and is easy to do.

Change the toilet syphon for one that incorporates an overflow facility and remove the pipe that goes outside. Don't forget to fill the hole in though or the draught will get worse ;)

If the cistern overflows the water is discharged into the toilet pan

Sponsored Links
if yours is a lever flush that'll be fine.

read the reveiws can't see how he had two fail in a short time.
useally last for yrs.

check your height you need they come in different heights.

Try extending the overflow pipe down nearer the floor outside, could be a quick fix. Other suggestions better in the long run though.

Put a right-angle pointing down on the internal end of the pipe and a length of pipe that's long enough so the end is submerged in the water in the cistern. That'll stop the draught.

Provided your pipe is a regular overflow diameter then it won't be narrow enough to create a syphon.

It's an interesting idea because our downstairs loo is always colder than the house, even though I've tried to seal all the draughts. Didn't think of that draught source. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back