Toilet overflow mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old-fashioned box type cistern that has a separate outlet for the overflow pipe. I've like to get rid of the external overflow pipe. A friend mentioned that you can get an "internal overflow" where the overflow just goes out into the toilet bowl.

Anybody know what its called and where I can get one? Can I fit it into my cistern and what should I do about the separate overflow pipe hole?

Sponsored Links
syphons act as overflows, check the spillover level.

a lot of the more modern push button syphons have an overflow pipe built in.

can you post a pic of your syphon ?.

Pic attached. Mines one of the old fashioned ones but I don't think the syphon acts as an overflow. Can I still fit a new inside with an internal overflow?

View media item 33445

you need to take the lid off the cistern and take a photo of what you see in there...

Sponsored Links
Andy,

I meant a picture showing inside of cistern he he he...

Yes, you can replace a traditional country pattern syphon with a push button style if it suits your cistern, checking hole size in cistern, usually 1.5 or 2 inch.

Also check the push button will fit thru the cistern hole.

If its a close coupled WC, then youre looking at replacing the fishplate/donut between pan/cistern.

Good luck.

you can buy a blank off for overflow and a new syphon flusher probably a 9 inch high one. keep the lever. just ensure the syphon has internal overflow on it and it will go into toilet if overflow occurs.

If you measure up from inside base of cistern, maybe you'll get 10".

If 10" then you could get a 9" syphon to act as internal over flow.

If you push down on the fluidmaster float to make it overflow, look and see if water goes over syphon or down overflow pipe.

Does that make any sense to you ?.

Al

So, if you block the overflow, does the water go over the syphon.

Or does it leak thru the notch at the back of the cistern ?.

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back