Draughty UPVC windows - how do I fix this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has single glazed UPVC windows. And most of them have gaps (some rather big) between the opening panels and the outer frame. (Not between plastic and glass). Said gaps are supposed to be sealed by black rubber strips, but aren't - whether the rubber is damaged, or the frames warped, I don't know.

What would be suitable for sealing said gaps? I wondered about some sort of sealant gun. But of course I don't want to glue the window shut by accident!

(Replacing the windows is out of the question. We don't have the money and the landlord won't.)

EDIT: Changed the title, realised it was confusing before, oops.

Sponsored Links
Can you put up some photos of the hinges/ handles/ locking mechanism. Very difficult to suggest anything without knowing how they're constructed. You say "single glazed UPVC". Wow - that's what I call penny-pinching.

Yeah, housing association, so a bit cheapskate.
Then again, I've no idea how old they are. Older than 6 years (how long we've lived here). Possibly double glazing wasn't so popular when they were fitted.

Actually annoying, because the landlord are replacing old timber windows with double glazing. But we don't get any :(

But that's a bit off-topic of course.

Hinges seem like a fairly normal upvc type. No internal locking, just surface mounted catches (that don't even lock. No-one's tried to burgle us yet mind.). Will post a photo soonish.

If the gaps are on the hinge side of the openers they could be caused caused by the "arrow head" on the moving part of the hinge binding and not engaging properly in it's socket (See pic):
Sometimes all it takes is a smear of silicone grease to get it to sit in the socket as it should.
Assuming the rubber seals are actually present - other possibilities:
Openers "dropped" and binding on hinges (though I wouldn't have thought single glazing heavy enough to do this);
Depending on what type of handles you've got - Nylon striker pads fallen off so nib on handle doesn't pull opener onto seal when you close it;
Mis-assembled in the first place (though I assume they once closed properly) look out for screws securing hinges sticking out too far ;
Hinges worn out causing play;
Frames distorted because they're supporting a structural load (most common in bays);
Er.. that's it for the moment. Let's know what you find

Sponsored Links
Tried some spray lube (probably wrong sort I know), that makes the windows easier to close (so prob worth doing given some are annoyingly stiff), but still the gap. It does tend to be at the hinge end.
Seals are present. Don't know what you mean by 'openers dropped'.
The striker pads are present. (Little 'ramps' that the handles go against, right?)
Crap fitting wouldn't surprise me, nor would being worn out. Frame looks true.

I'm just wondering if some sort of sealant could be used to fix the gaps though. Or maybe a draft excluding strip, like is more normally used for doors?

Hi again. If the hinges are stiff this in itself could be stopping them from closing. Go easy on the WD40. It degrades some plastics over the long term so I'd wipe off any excess. Here's a picture of a standard hinge:
The arrow head must fit snugly into the socket to pull the hinge side shut.
Another common fault I forgot to mention is a cracked slider block (as shown on pic). The 2 halves of the block go their separate ways so the opener won't pull tight on the hinge side. A new pair of hinges is the only remedy. They were only £4 a pair when I last bought some, but Screwfix seem to have stopped doing them.
Don't worry too much about openers dropping. More likely with large double galzed units. The weight of the glass makes the plastic frame of the opener go off-square.
I wouldn't resort to foam strip unless all-else fails. It's the equivalent of papering over the cracks.

Yeah, that's the same mechanism. And it seems the arrowhead ISN'T properly engaging the socket. (The socket is at a much more obtuse angle than the arrowhead, I wouldn't be surprised if that's wrong)

Sliders don't look cracked.

I don't think replacing the hinges would be possible. For one, they seem to be pop-riveted or something to the frame, certainly not screwed. Then £4 a pair is OK, but multiplied by up to nine windows... And I'd probably drop the opener and smash the glass, or else remove it and find myself unable to replace it.

So I think it is gonna have to be the foam strips. I know it's a bodge, but it seems like the easiest way.

The arrow head and socket aren't always symmetrical It just means you have to be careful to get the r/h and l/h hinges on the right side. All the replacements I've bought have been, though.
Try a little glob of grease in the socket to see if you can get it to fit better. (Vaseline is OK for a trial, but you need silicone grease if you're doing a load - from a plumbers' merchant).
Hinges are normally screwed to UPVC. Are you sure your windows aren't aluminium which were usually pop-rivetted.
Good luck if you go for the foam. I hope the extra pressure it exerts won't cause further problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back