Draughty UPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for advice on hinges and seals. The windows in question are just the lower windows. They hinge inwards and are side hung. As the windows are quite wide and hung on just one side there is considerable weight on the hinges. The hinges can be adjusted to remove any drop in the windows but that is not the issue. The tenant has said that the windows are draughty when it is windy and in some places it can be seen that the inner seal does not contact the frame. There are what I will call locking cams to pull the window in when the handle is locked and I have adjusted these for maximum pull into the frame but still have gaps. I replaced the original seals with Screwfix's Stormguard UPVC seal but this still shows some gaps.
I am interested in a fatter seal and possibly replacing the hinges.
Might also need to consider foam on the fixed surface for the seal to come up against.
Is there a preferred range of differing thickness seals or does someone have suggestions. Is the hinge recognised and available somewhere ?
The windows would have been mass produced for a large building development.

Thanks,

andytw

P.S. Just found the hinges. These look the same

http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/products/UPVC-Butt-Door-Hinge-100mm-%2d-White-&-Brown.html

Sponsored Links
Theres not any in and out adjustment on those hinges so new thicker gaskets are probably your best bet.

For small jobs (less than 100m lengths) ebay is your best bet. Search for bubble gaskets and flipper gaskets and go for something a couple of mm thicker than the largest gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back