Drayton Digistat 30002 Blowing Fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of help. Over the weekend I tried to install a new Thermostat for my central heating.

I think the old one is / was a Capini TY 90 BC (that's what it says on the board inside it) and has 4 wires:

red (Live)
Yellow (call for heat?)
Blue (Neutral)
Bare Copper (earth) - which was not connected to anything)

The wiring was like this:

Wires 1.jpg

I wired in the new thermostat (Drayton + 30002) as per the instructions (apologies for dodgy pic, I didn't take a photo):

Wires 2 b.jpg

Now everything worked great for a few hours then the 3AMP fuse in the airing cupboard went... I tried a new fuse and that went too.. I think the fuse goes when the heating turns off but I'm not 100% sure.

I've put the old thermostat back in now and so far no blown fuses so I'm a bit stumped..

Should I try the new one without the Neutral? It says it doesn't need it but it can be connected.

Is there anything else that I need to check to make sure it's all compatible? Both the old and new thermostat have 240v printed on them..

Many Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
You could try removing the neutral temporarily and seeing if it works then.

That would then more or less confirm its the stat and not something else..

Have you tried putting the old stat back?

Yep, out the old stat back on yesterday morning and so far no more blown fuses...

I can't see anything exposed on the new one, it's just got the little connector block on the back and pins on the main part of the stat that go into that connector...

We were umming and arring about getting a wireless one, might do that instead... If we do, should I look for anything in particular or should it work s long as it's 240v rated?

Many thanks for the replies.

Matt

Sponsored Links
As you already have the wiring in place AND if you are happy with the thermostat position then you do not need a wireless one.

If the old stat is not causing a trip, I would assume the new stat is faulty! So return it.
There are a number of different controls on the market and plenty of differing RF ones. The question would be if you only want to control your DCH via manual over-ride and timed settings. What is your budget?

Right I'll return it then thanks..

The Thermostat is in the hall at the minute, which never really gets warm so we have to manage other rooms by constantly changing radiator valves, I was thinking that with a wireless one we could put it in our sons room over night to keep that a steady temperature and then take it down stairs during he day..

We wouldn't want to pay over 150 though and I'm not fussed about getting a smart one..

Cheers

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back