Wiring a Drayton Digistat 3 room thermostat

I changed the batteries on the thermostat and hey presto it started working. However, the battery light wasnt flashing. I guess the thermostat wasnt switching between on and off as the batteries were down

Thanks to all those that helped me out

Sponsored Links
Best to use alkaline batteries in the stat. You will know when the batteries are going when you wake up one day and the house is freezing. That's when the flame symbol has come on but there wasn't enough power in the battery to flip the relay contacts. That happened to me! Also what can happen when the batteries are going is that the flame symbol can go out but the relay doesn't flip and the heating stays on and the house gets hotter and hotter and hotter....you know what I mean. Apart from that small issue I think they're great. I wouldn't swap my digistat 3,. Steve.

steve1811uk said:
That's when the flame symbol has come on but there wasn't enough power in the battery to flip the relay contacts.

The above is what happened when I initially installed the new stat. Becuase the batteries were low the flame signal appeared but there wasnt enough power to flip the relay contacts!

Is using a programmable thermostat not a costly option? I mean if you use the defualt program then your central heating is on for most of the day or am i missing something. I guess you could change the default settings to suit your needs

Sponsored Links
By using a programmable stat you can have diferent temps for different times of the day.

Hi,

I seem to be having problems with my Digistat 3 in that I have set the stat to come on at 9am at a temperature of 19. However it seems to come on at 7am. This also happens throughout the day in that it comes on at random times. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance

Thanks diy_guy and others. I made the same switch of stats and made the same mistake and kept blowing fuses. Now I have terminated the neutral and heating is back. Glad I found you. Cheers!

Hi

I am looking to change my Drayton RTS1 thermostat, with a Drayton Digistat + 3.

I have a Potterton Puma combi at the moment. There are 3 wires going to the thermostat at the moment

Red (live)
Yellow (switched live)
Blue (netural)

Someone once told me that the Potterton Puma, although being a combi was unusual and ran on 230V rather than low voltage like other combi boilers.

Will this make a difference when i change to the new thermostat, the fact that the digistat is volt free and I wont be connecting the netural wire?

Cheers for any help

Hi,

This thread has i think answered my questions on how to replace/wire an old Honeywell room stat (approc 12 years old i imagine) with a new Drayton RT5 S.

My old wiring was
Red = 1
Blue = 2
Yellow = 3

From the ancient diagram inside it also seems that 3 is the switched live.

My new stat has connections for
N = Neutral
L = 230AV (3A fused)
1 = COM
2 = Heating Satisfied
3 = Call for Heat

The instructions say 'it is essential to make a neutral connection to terminal N. With that in mind I'm going to wire up as

N = Blue
1 = Red
3 = Yellow

I think thats right, now my question (assuming above is right!) is another part of the instructions..'remember to link L+1 for 230 Output'

Whilst i understand this is saying loopa wire from L to 1 to generate a 230v output, what I dont understand is why and what this is for.

Myboiler is a Boutler Camray 5 if thats a factor...

Help would be really appreciated as we are broke and dont have any heating ....brrrrrrr

PS. I replaced 5 old radiators with new Kudox panels (taken me all summer do to other work). I purchased bi-directional valves - does this truly mean i dont have to worry about which pipe is the feed? I hope so as I had no idea...gulp

Thanks for any support !

I have only 3 wires on my Honeywell T40 connected as follows:
1. brown
3. blue
& Earth

On my Drayton Digistat+3 there is a single three block. Please will you confirm:

Connect the Blue to the top
Connect the Brown to the centre
Leave the bottom free

Close off the earth :confused:

I've got the same room stat myself. Try changing the temperature setting on the stat by pressing + and -. Each time the flame symbol on the stat display goes on or off you should hear a click as the internal relay in the stat changes over. If there is no click then the relay contacts are welded or the batteries are too low to operate the relay. Steve.

Hi sorry to sound silly but I have this problem the flame seems to switch on, on the Drayton control , but there is no "click" so I assume that the relay contacts have "welded" why would this be, we already replaced this unit once only 9 months ago. (Or at least the boiler man said he did)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back