Drayton Lifestyle 2-Port Motorised valve sticking ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water is too hot and the thermostat has been replaced and the valve lever indicates that it opens and closes if the thermostat contacts are shorted.
Most of the time the lever indicates that the HW valve is OFF.

Does the lever on the Drayton Lifestyle 2-Port Motorised valve actually show the movement of the brass valve underneath?
Or is it just an indicator of the movement of the server?

What I am getting at is; could the brass valve not be shutting properly or stuck open?

Thanks people.

Sponsored Links
The valve can be in closed position but still be passing when only heating on if crud has built up around the port hole or the rubber paddle is faulty.

From cold put the ch on only and feel the flow pipe from the 2 port valve to cylinder see if it gets hot.

I decided to take the actuator part of to see if the valve shaft was stiff. On removing the cover on the motor actuator, a small spring fell out.
Investigation showed that the plastic post that retains one of the two springs had broken (Reading more on the web I find this is a common problem with this Drayton valve) leaving only one spring to pull the valve shut.

I was disappointed that though I had purchase the same part (complete motorised valve) they have changed the design. Therefore, I could not just swap the actuator for a working one.
It being darn cold now, I was reluctant to drain the whole system just to replace the valve.

Rummaging through saved miscellaneous items I managed to fabricate/bodge a replacement post for the second spring. The valve seems to close now ok as the pipe after the valve stays cold.

Fingers crossed job done till summer when I may put the new valve and actuator on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back