Drayton RTS1 room thermostat no "click"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a new boiler system installed:

Boiler- Vailant thermoCOMPACT (sealed system)
programmer - Lifestyle LP522
room thermostat - Drayton RTS1
Drayton 3 Port mid position motorised valve

The problem i have now is my central heating system. The boiler starts fine and all radiator gets hot, but once the Hot water cylinder gets hot enough, the boiler will shut off.. The radiator get back to cold and the boiler wont startup....

I have checked the wiring and it is all correct according to the boiler manual.

However I am thinking the problem might comes from the room thermostat, because when i rotate it, there is no "click" noise.

Does that mean it is faulty?

many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It will be the actuator on the motorized valve or thr heating microswitches not calling for heating on its own. The room stat will only click when it is receiving a 240v live supply. Is it a new boiler or a new system??

The Drayton RTS1 is an electronic thermostat and as the previous chap says will only go click if there is 240V to it, i.e. your timer is providing a demand. Inside the stat there should be 4 wires. neutral, live, demand (to mid posn valve) and earth. In all likeliness it's your mid position valve thats causing problems, either the motor has gone kaput OR one of the two internal microswitches inside the motorised valve is stuck or duff. You may know already but these motors are prone to failure and you should be able to replace just the motor head and not the whole valve. There could be another problem too in your timer may be malfunctioning. There is a chance that the CH relay on your timer could be faulty to check this: set demand on timer for CH (or CH and water) take the cover off your RTS1 and check there is a voltage across neutral and live, when you take the demand off ie just call for water or switch the timer off the voltage should go to zero. WARNING it is likely that the RTS1 is fed with 240V so only expose the terminal strip if you are confident enough to measure mains!
MB67

thanks for the reply.

So if the CH is ON and there is a voltage read on the room thermostat, but if it still wont "click", then thats mean i need to change the room thermostat right?

How about the motorised valve, how do i test to find out if it is faulty?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
could be the room stat or could be the 3 port valve.
Suggest you check room stat first, because it's easy. The stat is basically a switch, so with room stat turned down check input terminal is live and output terminal is dead. turn stat up and verify the output terminal now becomes live. This output wire leads to the white wire on the 3 port valve so that shoud become live also.
Assuming the stat is ok it is almost certain there is no power output from the orange wire on the 3 port valve which supplies the boiler when CH only is demanded. This is down to the actuator not moving to the CH positon (faulty motor replacable for about £15) or if it does move to the correct positon power not going out of orange wire due to faulty microswitch. ( easier to replace actuator head than microswitch, but your looking at £40 approx)
Most actuator heads can be removed so you can watch it operate without it being on the valve spindle. try HW only (start positon) then HW - CH (mid positon) and watch it move to mid positon, then CH only and see if it moves to the final positon.
You may like to read previous replys by me on this subject.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi mate just another angle a came across last year.went to a boiler that had been in 10 years cos he complained that the hot water was 2 hot. turned down the cylinder stat from 80 to 55 and left no charge middle a summer & was passin. Winter came & he only got heating when hot water was on. no heating unless cyl stat turned up .1 1/2 hours 3 lecky shocks & i found the wire from the 3 way valve that puts power back to boiler when water satisfied was missing from new. Crappy house house builders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back