Drayton RTS8 - testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Thermostat is working fine. However, just wanted check this is how a test should show.

When I put a tester across L & 2 with the thermostat turned off, the tester lights up and when I click the thermostat on the lights go out.

Is that the correct sequence? Just a bit confused as I would have thought it would be the other way round. i.e when the circuit is closed (thermostat on) the tester lights will be on, and vica versa.

Hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• 20210111_075716.jpg
    20210111_075716.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
What kind of tester are you using? One that measures voltage, or one that measures resistance?

If you are measuring voltage, then it will only illuminate when there is a potential difference (voltage difference) between the two points. When the thermostat is 'on' both terminals will be connected together by the switch inside the thermostat and so both terminals will be at exactly the same voltage. So, no voltage difference = no indication.

By putting the tester between L and 2, you are connecting the tester in series with the boiler components and when the thermostat is 'off' and the switch open and the terminals no longer connected together, you are detecting some voltage difference between the two points probably because of the boilers internal components.

The proper way to test voltage (assuming your tester is rated at 230V) is to put one probe on neutral (ie a known 0V) and then the other becomes the test probe. In this instance with one probe on N and the thermostat set to be 'on' you will find by putting the other probe on terminals L and then terminal 2, it will indicate in both instances.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back