Drayton TA/M4 Actuator / Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking for some help with respect to the 3 way valve within my hot water / heating system (I believe it is called a 3 way valve).

To describe the system :

• Installed in new house early 70’s
• Boiler located in kitchen, has timer and on/off functions on the front of boiler. (I am sorry I don’t know make of boiler as I post this)
• Drayton thermostat installed in hallway
• Drayton Actuator installed in airing cupboard, model TA/M4, there are 5 wires from this unit to a relay box (see below) coloured Black, Blue, Yellow, White and Earth
• 3 position valve, has the actuator clip onto it
• Drayton Flowshare Relay Unit situated in airing cupboard, model number RB2

Problems

• The valve has started leaking from the centre spindle
• I have never been happy with the valve, it seems very slow in operation, which I believe sometimes leaves to bangs from the system as the valve moves from one position to the other
• The valve/actuator has for a while seemed reluctant to move to each position, and seems to get stuck between position i.e. looking at the unit there are 3 pipes, one entering top, one entering bottom and one from the left, all 22mm. Position 1 of the actuator is 12 o’clock, position 2 is 3 o’clock, position 3 is 6 o’clock. The actuator regularly gets stuck are around 2 o’clock
• I have had to repair the relay box many times, mainly due to soldering problems on the relay.

I am therefore more than happy to replace the whole 3 way unit , the relay box, and even the thermostat, and if this meant that I could fit a more flexible control unit that I could programme to reflect weekends and weekdays then this would be even better, but not sure how this fits with the control on the boiler itself.

The boiler seems fine, and was serviced 6 months ago.

I however am reluctant to replace the pipes in the airing cupboard, as they pass through floors etc. So I am really looking for a valve to fit straight into existing pipe work without having to cut or lengthen the pipes.

I purchased a Drayton 22mm mid position valve (MA1/679-3), which is totally different to what I currently have. The control unit sits on the top (or would be on the side in my case) rather than on the front, and the unit itself is appears smaller and probably resulting in me having to extend the pipes. I also noted that the wires in the unit were a different colour.

Is there a direct replacement valve that I could put into the system to resolve the leaking issue (most websites that I have found only list the actuator and not the valve itself) I have spoken to one supplier and they are investigating as they only list the actuator)

Or is there a suitable complete control system replacement, that would be more reliable and give me greater control, with a minimal amount of plumbing work (i.e. remove old valve and install new one in its place) ?

Sponsored Links
Can confirm boiler is :

Manufacturer : Thorn EMI heating limited
Model : Apollo

Any help ideas would really be appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back