Drayton TRV4 is a separate lock shield valve needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read mixed information about these valves having built in lock shields, so the conventional lock shield on the other end should be left fully open.

Doing some research, the built in lock shield needs adjusting on installation - is it worth bothering trying to figure out these built in lock shields, if my information is correct? Or should I just adjust the traditional lock shields on the other end to balance the radiators in the house?

Sponsored Links
They are a trv with a lockable flow adjustment.

The idea is you set these as you would any other lockshield valve during system balancing and then fit the head and that's it.
In the other side of the rad, you fit the on-off head to the lockshield as the flow adjustment is done in the trv unit.

Interesting idea for problematic systems

But useless if your system is reasonably designed and installed as balancing is not needed (imho).

They are a trv with a lockable flow adjustment.

The idea is you set these as you would any other lockshield valve during system balancing and then fit the head and that's it.
In the other side of the rad, you fit the on-off head to the lockshield as the flow adjustment is done in the trv unit.

Interesting idea for problematic systems

But useless if your system is reasonably designed and installed as balancing is not needed (imho).
Ah interesting. As I've no idea if the plumber correctly set them or not I'll just stick to adjusting the lock shields on the other end. I assume by their presence, indicates it wasn't calibrated vis the trvs originally

Sponsored Links
Not something I’ve heard of ,maybe they mean auto-balancing? https://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/products/radiator-valves/Drayton TRV4

Not something I have heard of at all, despite having fitted TRV4's. I'm thinking it might explain one radiator, which always gets to maximum temperature, when ever the boiler fires. I swapped the head with another, thinking the head was faulty, but it made no difference at all, even turning the head to off. Must take another look at it.

Auto balancing valves have become a thing over the last year or so. I think Honeywell also have an auto balancing valve as well.

My Honeywell try valve bodies have a balancing valve that can be used instead of a lock shield and they were installed over 25 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back