drayton trv4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Drayton TRV4 regulators attached to my radiators. One of the radiators was not working and I realised that the Drayton TRV4 knob was "spinning". In trying to fix it the regulator came away in my hand. There is a centre "pin" which seems to have sprung and I cannot put the regulator back on. Any idea of what to do next ?
Ineke 19

Sponsored Links
if the pin has popped up open the top to the highest number and it should screw back on.

Re: the central spindle - presume you mean the one in the TRV head rather than the valve body (small brass pin)? If its the head spindle, the only solution is to replace the head - see below for more details.

>>>
Like many other members I have a CH system that has a large number of TRV4s fitted. The system is 12 years old and is pressurized. Recently I noticed that several of the rads were blisteringly hot and that their TRV heads had become detached either partially or totally.

I contacted Drayton and they advised there is a known problem with steam escaping from the rubber gland seal that surrounds the central spindle, particularly in pressurized systems.

The steam "cooks" the plastic around the attachment point and the internal workings of the head making them brittle and eventually failing either at the bezel or around the spring-loaded adjustment spindle inside the head.

They recommend that the gland seals are periodically replaced, ideally every 5-6 years.

This is a relatively simple job requiring replacement seals (part no. 07 35 009) and a small plastic replacement tool (part no. 07 35 162) both of which are widely available.

I found the Customer Services people extremely helpful and efficient and its may well be worth speaking to them - they even replaced some of the defective heads for free!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back