Drayton Wiser Kit 2 controller not calling for heat in CH mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently installed a Drayton Wiser Kit 2 to replace an old Potterton EP2001 with an oil fired boiler (Grant Euroflame). I’ve wired the Wider with the same wiring setup as the Potterton, expect without the link wire from L to 5 (as someone helped me with on this forum). The HW is working fine, but when the systems calls for CH, the radiator valves open but the boiler doesn’t kick in. So, if the HW is on at the same time, the radiators heat up, but if it’s not, then the CH doesn’t heat.
I wonder whether I’ve got a loose connection somewhere, but have looked and it all seems to be wired ok. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Miguel

Sponsored Links
Did you link out the old thermostat or set to maximum?

Thanks sxturbo and CBW. There isn’t a thermostat anywhere so I assume it was set up to run the CH for as long as the timer was on. As for Y vs S plan, I’m not sure I’m afraid. The only valve I can see is this one below the HW tank. Not sure if you can tell from that.

Attachments

• E1519524-A45E-477A-A9DE-42981CC2F934.jpeg
    E1519524-A45E-477A-A9DE-42981CC2F934.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
The only valve I can see is this one below the HW tank. Not sure if you can tell from that.
That’s a pump and gate valve. It could be a gravity system. You’d be looking for something similar to this if you have any zoned control: Honeywell

Yes, I’m pretty sure it’s a gravity system.
Wiser can not be used with a gravity hot water system, you will need a different system, when you had the EP could you get CH without HW also selected, if you could you dont have a gravity HW system, if thw HW automatically switched on when you selected CH then you do indeed have a Gravity HW system and the wiser cant be used for this

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok, thanks. I guess that’s my answer. Do you know if there are any other wireless systems that can work with a gravity system?

I’m guessing it’s a case of researching what you want, but I believe Hive does.

And, sorry, one more question - what was my Potterton EP2001 doing then? It seemed to turn on the boiler when the CH turned on.

And, sorry, one more question - what was my Potterton EP2001 doing then? It seemed to turn on the boiler when the CH turned on.
Hive dual channel or nest can both be set to gravity HW as can some others, basically with gravity HW the boiler is powered when HW is selected, the water circulates via Gravity and heats the cylinder, when CH is selected the HW part brings the boiler on, the CH part powers the pump, hence why you cant have CH without HW , if you look on the back of the old EP you will see if Fully pumped or gravity was selected

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks everyone. Very helpful, even if it’s bot the answer I was looking for. Saved a lot of faffing about trying to work out why it wasn’t working. Drayton onto eBay and I’ll give the Hive a go.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful, even if it’s bot the answer I was looking for. Saved a lot of faffing about trying to work out why it wasn’t working. Drayton onto eBay and I’ll give the Hive a go.
If going for hive make sure it is the dual channel and you have to set it to gravity HW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back