Drilled incorrect size holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry this may be a very dumb question :unsure:

Trying to attach a retractable garden hose to the external wall, instruction said drill a hole with 10mm bit which I did but the plastic anchor goes in the hole too easily so the bolts are not screwing in.

Now, would it be wise to ignore the holes in the brick and drill a new ones close by or should I buy a bigger size anchor and bolts to fit the drilled holes? Not really sure if there is anything wrong with leaving 4 holes open in the brick.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If you used the correct size, then you must have waggled the drill around as you drilled. How much too big? Might wrapping a layer of PVC tape around the plugs be enough to hold them, whilst you get the screws into them?

Thanks for the reply, quite possible that I moved the drill around. Not massively big, couple of pvc tape may be enough, thanks for the suggestion, will try that.

Sponsored Links
For accurate holes drill, starting from a small size.

I use the dewalt extreme masonry bits and drill with a cordless without hammer action to start with -soft brick doesnt need hammer action.

Is the plastic anchor just a rawlplug type fitting?
I'm asking because you mentioned bolts and I'm wondering just exactly what type of fitting it is.

If you have nothing else, can you fill the hole with cocktail sticks and cut them flush?
These can form a wooden bung in the hole if you get enough in.
Break them in half to be able to hammer them in gently.

Stivino, it is similar to the one in the link posted by Blup.

@mattylad, so do you mean fill the holes and drill new ones? to clarify, I managed to safely pull out the raw plugs so can re-use them with new holes but conscious that existing holes needs to be filled

I think he means, put the plug in the hole and put cocktail sticks in any remaining spaces.
I've done similar many times, not with cocktail sticks though, just splinters of wood from the scrap pieces. You can even glue them in place with wood glue, sticks like shight etc.

There are lots of ways to make the existing holes work. Another method is to mix a drop of car body filler, fill the holes up with that, then whilst still soft, push the plugs in to the holes - forcing the filler up the sides, to help fill the space.

Thanks guys, will give that a try. Appreciate all the replies.

And as for screws into weak bricks:

Drill a hole deep enough and wide enough for your screw and plug to penetrate well into the brick. Disregard the thickness of plaster which has no strength.

Remove dust and loose material with a vac or water jet

Inject builders adhesive of the "no more nails " type into the hole, starting with the nozzle at the back so there is no air pocket

Press your plasplug into the adhesive so it is fully encased. You can use a screw wound a little way in, as a handle

Leave overnight to set. When you drive your screws home the adhesive will transmit the expansion pressure to the brick without cracking, spinning or coming loose.

For outside work, you need a weatherproof or waterproof variety. In most other cases, the cheapest own-brand will be fine (around £2 a tube)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back