drilling a hole in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I was drilling a couple of 5mm diameter drill holes for a curtain rail

I had an hammer drill (electric)

I first tried with the hammer action off, and it made a perfect 5mm hole, but not quite long enough for the raul plug

I noticed that underneath the paster is a very hard substance, something like steel

I cant get through it, with or without hammer action on, with concrete or HSS drill bit, makes no difference

When I turned on Hammer action, it made the 5mm hole turn into a 7 or 8 mm diameter hole, because it makes the drill go all aggressive, if you know what i mean

After 2 failed holes, I gave up frustrated.

What can i do ?

Sponsored Links
Put your rail a few inches higher up.

Sponsored Links
thanks andy
until today i didnt know what a lintel is

now i know how to deal with the problem

im going to use a wood baton..........

Use a masonry bit until you hit the lintel then change for a steel drill bit to go through the lintel.

But you'll still need to drill into the wall to fix the batten.....

3 weeks have passed and I still havent got around to attaching the baton into the wall

can any tell me how can i attach the baton to the wall...........

I can only drill into the wall to the depth of the plaster.........which is about 2cm

How can I screw in the baton.........i'm a total diy novice

Obviously i cant use a rawl plug

Get a better drill and better bits and you'll be able to drill the lintel. If it's concrete, go borrow an SDS+, if it's steel, buy some real HSS bits, not the generic five penny a piece ones from the discount store down the road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back