Drilling a soil pipe?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am putting a macerator unit in for a downstairs toilet, I need to get into the soil pipe and wondered if it is possible to drill the cast pipe so I can put a boss stap on with a 32mm insert for the saniflo waste.
If the cast can be drilled, will ordinary drill bits do it, or what will I need.
Has anyone tried this??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
did one once a while ago ,you need to mark the hole out on the pipe then drill a row of holes in a circle then carfully cut out peice with chisel
Tryed a holesaw and lost the teeth apparently there is a hard skin on the outside of cast pipe .hope this helps

Thanks Kev It has to be easier than renewing the soil stack.

Sponsored Links
You cannot put any sort of strap boss successfully on a cast iron pipe. That's my opinion !
Easy to do with a DECENT holesaw(!) but every one I've ever tried, or looked at, leaks. Yes that IS with the whole affair gunged up with silicone. The strap bosses are designed for plastic pipes.

If someone knows different, I'd love to be wrong!!

There's a variety of special fitings to choose from - ask in a good merchant.

never used one but apparently plumbcentre do a bronze one for cast

must admit i tryed a plastic one and had to silicone it

holesaw was a starret not exactly cheap

thanks all, will go to plumbcenter and see what they have.
will let you know the outcome

Hi Since I posted the initial post I have had a spell in hospital so I am now back to this problem, I have been to plumb centre but they were no help, after spending about 45 minutes in there I came away with no answers at all.
Does antone have the name of a good plumbers merchant in the north-west that could possibly help me out.
I have all the pipe work in now it is just the little matter of the last 6 inches getting into the cast soil pipe.
Will check back tomorrow to see if anyone has been able to help.
Thanks Kenny.

There is a thing called a "Fixacon Strap", one of the "Timesaver Couplings" family it seems from the list I have. There are 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" versions. It obviously isn't a piddly plastic thing, its RRP is £63, shop price £43. Plus vat. Cor :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back