Drilling glass

how do you propose to replace the inert gas that makes d/g units so efficient!!!!

Only a few modern and (more expensive) DG units have argon gas most I believe juat have......air. Argon has only a small effect on thermal efficiency - K Glass has a much bigger effect.

as far as i know you either have a vacuum or an inert gas as air allows the heat loss and sound to travel

simply 2 panes off glass are just that
why would they go to all the trouble and expence of sealed units if 2 panes would do the same job!!! ;)

Sponsored Links
A vacuum would crack/shatter the glass as the pressure differential acting on a sheet of glass would be enormous - I'd suspect even steel of the same thickness would bend with that much pressure on it!

Argon gas is only been used recently but U values are little different to air.

Air is a very good insulator - the problem being convection, conduction of air moving around - the 'sealed' double glazing simply stops the air moving (too much) and hence used its very good insulating properties to the desired effect.

If 2 panes of glass allowed the air to move freely around then yes it would be no better than 1 pane of glass.

But anyone know the answer to the drilling the glass!

A vacuum would crack/shatter the glass as the pressure differential acting on a sheet of glass would be enormous - I'd suspect even steel of the same thickness would bend with that much pressure on it!

why would you think that !!! the brake hoses on a vacuum braked train are only spirals of wire with canvas and or rubber inbetween and thats up to 31" of mercry !!!

Sponsored Links
great we have all learnt somthing :D :D ;)

all cleared up unfortunatly unlike your glass ;)

there is never a vacuum or partial vacuum in the sealed units available in this country. the wikipedia entry said that evacuated glazing was uncommonly available and has a partial vacuum. i'm not sure where it is available? it would certainly bend the glass of a normal sized unit. vacuum glazing does exist with spacers at close centres between the panes. not suitable for a domestic application though.

i hope someone can help this fellow with how to drill the glass? i know glaziers can do it, but i have been lead to believe it's a bit hit and miss, even on the bench. maybe you could ring a friendly one and get some advice?
of course his repair wouldn't be as good as a brand new properly constructed one - it's a repair. well done for trying i say, but i think the professional repairers generally drill through the edge spacer.

yhst-14951247236082_2045_621755

To drill hole in glass, will need a diamond drill bit as above although you can use a ball shaped drill bit. Plenty of coolant to keep your drill tip cool with very light pressure

why would you think that !!! the brake hoses on a vacuum braked train are only spirals of wire with canvas and or rubber inbetween and thats up to 31" of mercry !!!

Pressure on a patio door lets say the area is 2m x 1m = 2m squared
Atmospheric pressure is 100000pascals (same as 1 bar, 14.5psi)
And pressure = force/area
so force = pressure x area
So force = 100000(pa) x 2m^2
Force = 20,000kg
or 20 tonnes pressing on the glass (evenly distributed)

I dont think the glass would stand that!

Brake hoses are cylindrical and hence a much stronger shape, the pressure is distributed evenly around the cylinder and sets up a circumferential force which is easy to withstand, also think how big is a brake hose, is it metres in diameter? no probably 10-20mm so the area is very small as well and the force exerted depends on the area (see above) finally as you mentioned they are either strong fibre or steel reinforced and the non-flexible sections are all steel pipe.

The wiki entry (as I read it) says partial vacuum glass is not used for commercial use, the strength needs to be improved (could mean much thicker glass, steel reinforcement etc) and the viewng area is quite small, plus the vacuum is only partial so could be anywhere from 20% to 80% of a total vacuum. - I guess this sort of thing would be used in commercial freezers etc where getting more insulation is important but there is a large temperature difference so thermal losses justify the extra cost (and poor visibility due to thick glass and/or reinforcements) - anyway aeroplane windows need to withstand around 1 bar (roughly) so that gives an idea on the size and thickness of glass possible (i.e. quite small)

To drill hole in glass, will need a diamond drill bit as above although you can use a ball shaped drill bit. Plenty of coolant to keep your drill tip cool with very light pressure

thanks - wish I had this answer earlier before I cracked one of the panes!

To keep it cool, lay the glass down flat, build a wall around the area of the hole with putty, then fill that with the coolant/lubricant of your choice.

Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back