Wooden frame dilemma!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cracked one of the summerhouse double glazed glass panes. I never replaced a glass pane so I thought I should do some search to get it right?

First measurements: do I measure at the outer frame with glass in and then take away 10mm or would it be better to remove glass and take exact measurement of existing pane?

Second: glass is locked into place by a wooden frame that is nailed (and possibly glued) on the window frame. How do I remove this?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Measure across the timber rebate and then subtract 6mm......10mm is overdoing it a bit!
It sounds like the panels are fixed in with wood glass beads.....can you see any small nail heads? Use a broad chisel to try and lever them away, but if they are stuck with silicone they may prove difficult to shift.
John :)

Measure across the timber rebate and then subtract 6mm......10mm is overdoing it a bit!
It sounds like the panels are fixed in with wood glass beads.....can you see any small nail heads? Use a broad chisel to try and lever them away, but if they are stuck with silicone they may prove difficult to shift.
John :)

I can see nail holes, I can't see the nails heads but I assume nails are there!....my main worry would be to remove the beads without damaging the wood.....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally beads can be prized out with a few scrapers and maybe a chisel. It can be worth scoring the edges with a Stanley knife first.

If it is a double glazed unit your best off trying to remove it to get accurate sizes, Dont forget your going to want the depth of the unit too as they come in several thickness's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back